Eye infection of the tiger

It's been rather a tumultuous couple of weeks. After abandoning the 1km swim I had a few days off training but then was able to motivate myself into a 12 mile run in preparation for this weekend's Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon.

This was followed up by another event in the Winter GP calendar the 500m swim/5km run where we literally bash out 20 lengths, get out of the pool grab our trainers and run 2.5km down the road, turn round and run back.

At 7.30am. On a February morning.

After the disastrous 1km swim two weeks previously I was feeling nervous and right up to the last minute was considering giving this one a miss. While the aim of the Winter GP is to assess progression from one year to the next I decided I'd not push myself to the limit in the swim and see how things went from there. It was more about psychologically getting over the failure of the previous swim than worrying about beating last year's swim/run time.

So to cut a long story short I did a lot better than expected and took 50 seconds off last year's time.

However during the next few days things started going horribly wrong. On Sunday evening I started feeling a bit blocked up and by Monday morning was doing an uncanny Darth Vader impression.

Just a minor sniffle
As a result training was written off for a week as I effectively developed a sinus infection that then moved in to my left eye. Sexy stuff.

Unsurprisingly I thought it would be sensible to give the half marathon a miss.

But this didn't ruin my weekend as on Saturday I attended the 220 Triathlon show where I got to meet several triathlon legends, including Dave Scott (yes, Dave Scott!) as well as interview none other than Olympic hero Daley Thompson.

But it would be a major injustice for me to include a summary of the day's events in a post about me getting ill so I'll leave that as a cliff hanger for the next exciting instalment which hopefully I'll get round to writing some time this week.


The greatest hits...