Going downhill fast

Whilst I generally stringently observe the day day of rest, this Sunday (as there wasn't vast amounts of water falling from the sky) I decided to get out for a quick cycle. I'm ashamed to admit that this is the first time I've been out on my bike since 17 August 2013.

My eyes!
This is partly due to the fact that in that time I've been trying to focus on my running a bit more (and I've been using the turbo trainer at least once a week since October) but still quite a shocking realisation.

Despite having spent sometime on the turbo I was quite surprised at my lack of cycling fitness. And I was only out for an hour.

There is a lot of snobbery from some cyclists about turbo training (online discussions about winter riding/turbo training will always have a cycling nazi banging on about rule #5) but it did bring home to me that there that there is no substitution for getting out on the open road.

While you have no choice but to get to the top of the hill you also forget how psychologically reserved you can get on the downhills if you haven't been out for a while.  While I certainly wouldn't condone a lackadaisical approach to safety, when you're racing if you've got the cojones to ease off the breaks during a steep descent you can gain some precious seconds.

This is one reason why, if possible, it makes sense to get as familiar as you can with the cycle section of a Tri so you generally know what's round the corner.

So does this mean that I'll be out again this coming Sunday? Probably not. It's my birthday on Saturday so I expect my friends will be forcing me to drink copious amounts of beer.

And last weeks ride reminded me why I have become something of a fair weather cyclist in recent years. It took me another good hour to properly clean my bike.

I checked there wasn't a hosepipe ban on before cleaning my bike

Comments

The greatest hits...